It's that time again! Our good friends at SABR have collated some of the best and brightest articles of the past 365 days. Now's your chance to vote for your favorite baseball writings of the past year.
Here's your chance to vote for the 2015 SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards winners.
The SABR Analytics Conference Research Awards will recognize baseball researchers who have completed the best work of original analysis or commentary during the preceding calendar year. Nominations were solicited by representatives from SABR, Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, The Hardball Times, and Beyond the Box Score.
To read any of the finalists, click on the link below. Scroll down to cast your vote.
Contemporary Baseball Analysis
- Russell Carleton, "N=1," Baseball Prospectus 2014: The Essential Guide to the 2014 Season, January 2014.
- Jay Jaffe, "The Case of the Disappearing Slugger: Where Did MLB's Power Go?" SI.com, September 3, 2014.
- Harry Pavlidis and Dan Brooks, "Framing and Blocking Pitches: A Regressed, Probabilistic Model," Baseball Prospectus, March 3, 2014.
- Jon Roegele, "The Effects of Pitch Sequencing," The Hardball Times, November 24, 2014.
- Jeff Sullivan, "Alex Gordon Barely Had a Chance," FanGraphs, October 30, 2014.
Contemporary Baseball Commentary
- Grant Brisbee, "Rumors, Rumors, Every Where, Nor Any Drop to Drink," SB Nation, December 15, 2014.
- Dave Cameron, "If Someone Has A Good Way To Evaluate Managers, Let Us Know," FoxSports.com, September 5, 2014.
- Lewie Pollis, "If You Build It: Rethinking the Market for Major League Baseball Front Office Personnel," Brown University, senior honors thesis, Spring 2014.
- Eno Sarris, "Learning the Language of the Clubhouse," The Hardball Times, March 13, 2014.
- Jason Turbow, "The Essence of Velocity: The Pitching Theory That Could Revolutionize Baseball, If Only The Sport Would Embrace It," SB Nation, June 18, 2014.
- Frank Jackson, "Shots Fired But Not Heard 'Round the World," The Hardball Times, October 7, 2014.
- Erik Malinowski, "Swing Away: The Untold Story of the First Home Run Derby," FoxSports.com, July 10, 2014.
- Sam Miller, "Baseball's Seven Wonders: Kerry Wood's 20-K Game," Baseball Prospectus, March 18, 2014.
- Bryan Soderholm-Difatte, "The 1914 Stallings Platoon: Assessing Execution, Impact, and Strategic Philosophy," SABR Baseball Research Journal, Fall 2014.
- Steve Treder, "The Strikeout Ascendant (and What Should Be Done About It)," The Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2014.
Voting will be open through 11:59 p.m. MST on Monday, February 16, 2015. Details and criteria for each category can be found here. Only one work per author was considered as a finalist.
Results will be announced and presented at the fourth annual SABR Analytics Conference, March 12-14, 2015, at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona. Learn more or register for the conference at SABR.org/analytics.