Congratulations! Your favorite team’s farm system is about to improve. All 30 organizations will acquire new talent via the draft from June 3-5. Whether your team picks at the top of the draft, the end of the first round, or has no first round pick at all, they are likely to select at least one player who will make the major leagues.
Playing the mock draft guessing game is always a fun, if futile, exercise. No one knows where these players will really end up (though Adley Rutschman is a pretty sure bet for #1), but mock drafts help us become acquainted with the incoming wave of talent. None of us here at Beyond the Box Score are scouts, so it would be somewhat disingenuous to create our own ‘mock’. Instead, we’ve aggregated some of the more credible publicly available mock drafts from the baseball Internet.
By analyzing pick placement from MLB.com, FanGraphs, CBS Sports, Perfect Game, and MyMLBDraft.com, we can discern an average pick placement, then use that to create our own aggregate mock. There are a few noteworthy sites whose mocks we didn’t incorporate, such as Baseball America and ESPN, out of respect for their paywalls.
Before we get into the mock draft itself, there are a few important notes.
- You won’t find scouting reports or synopses of the prospects on this page. Feel free to click the links above for more information on each player.
- There were 48 players in total that appeared in the five mock drafts we used. Any player not listed in a given mock draft was ranked #55 on the spreadsheet. FanGraphs and Perfect Game went through 41 picks, MLB mocked 34, and CBS and MyMLBDraft.com listed 32.
- You can view the full aggregate mock on this spreadsheet.
And now, on to the BtBS 2018 Aggregate Mock Draft!
- Baltimore Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C Oregon State, Average Pick: 1.0
- Kansas City Royals: Bobby Witt, Jr., SS HS-TX, Average Pick: 2.0
- Chicago White Sox: C.J. Abrams, SS HS-GA, Average Pick: 3.8
- Miami Marlins: Andrew Vaughn, 1B Cal, Average Pick: 4.0
- Detroit Tigers: J.J. Bleday, OF Vanderbilt, Average Pick: 5.0
- San Diego Padres: Riley Greene, OF HS-FL, Average Pick: 5.6
- Cincinnati Reds: Nick Lodolo, LHP TCU, Average Pick: 7.2
- Texas Rangers: Hunter Bishop, OF Arizona State, Average Pick: 8.6
- Atlanta Braves: Bryson Stott, SS UNLV, Average Pick: 11.0
- San Francisco Giants: Alek Manoah, RHP West Virginia, Average Pick: 11.2
- Toronto Blue Jays: Zack Thompson, LHP Kentucky, Average Pick: 12.0
- New York Mets: Jackson Rutledge, RHP San Jacinto JC-TX, Average Pick: 12.2
- Minnesota Twins: Shea Langeliers, C Baylor, Average Pick: 13.6
- Philadelphia Phillies: Brett Baty, 3B HS-TX, Average Pick: 14.8
- Los Angeles Angels: Corbin Carroll, OF HS-WA, Average Pick: 16.4
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Josh Jung, 3B Texas Tech, Average Pick: 17.0
- Washington Nationals: Matt Allan, RHP HS-FL, Average Pick: 17.0
- Pittsburgh Pirates: George Kirby, RHP Elon, Average Pick: 18.6
- St. Louis Cardinals: Quinn Priester, RHP HS-IL, Average Pick: 18.8
- Seattle Mariners: Brennan Malone, RHP HS-NC, Average Pick: 21.2
- Atlanta Braves: Gunnar Henderson, SS HS-AL, Average Pick: 21.2
- Tampa Bay Rays, Logan Davidson, SS Clemson, Average Pick: 21.8
- Colorado Rockies: Kameron Misner, OF Missouri, Average Pick: 24.6
- Cleveland Indians: Michael Busch, 1B UNC, Average Pick: 25.6
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Kody Hoese, 3B Tulane, Average Pick: 27.4
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Keoni Cavaco, 3B HS-CA, Average Pick: 27.4
- Chicago Cubs: Will Wilson, 2B North Carolina State, Average Pick: 29.0
- Milwaukee Brewers, Tyler Callihan, 3B HS-FL, Average Pick: 31.6
- Oakland Athletics: Daniel Espino, RHP HS-GA, Average Pick: 33.2
- New York Yankees, Braden Shewmake, SS Texas A&M, Average Pick: 33.8
- Los Angeles Dodgers: J.J. Goss, RHP HS-TX, Average Pick: 35.0
- Houston Astros: Seth Johnson, RHP Campbell, Average Pick: 40.6
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Maurice Hampton, OF HS-TN, Average Pick: 40.6
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Hunter Barco, LHP HS-FL, Average Pick: 40.8
- Miami Marlins: Anthony Volpe, RHP HS-NJ, Average Pick: 41.0
- Tampa Bay Rays: Rece Hinds, 3B HS-FL, Average Pick: 44.0
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Matthew Lugo, SS HS-PR, Average Pick: 46.4
- New York Yankees: Greg Jones, SS UNC-Wilmington, Average Pick: 46.6
- Minnesota Twins: Nasim Nunez, SS HS-GA, Average Pick: 48.2
- Tampa Bay Rays: Brooks Lee, SS HS-CA, Average Pick: 48.4
- Texas Rangers: Kyren Paris, SS HS-CA, Average Pick: 48.8