It's All-Star Game day! But before the festivities begin, have some links.
Previously on Beyond the Box Score
- Jose Altuve Extension: Astros Invest in the Future by Ken Woolums - Beyond the Box Score
In recent history, teams hoping to keep costs down while simultaneously keeping talented players have taken the gamble at giving out contracts to either players who have been unproven or semi-proven. With the Astros rebuilding, the team from Houston falls into this category, and their squat, yet productive second baseman Jose Altuve is the latest player to get one of these contracts. Ken explains.
- 2013 Home Run Derby: Analyzing the Hitters by HRD by Chris St. John - Beyond the Box Score
The Home Run Derby constitutes a major aspect of the MLB All-Star break, and Chris St. John has analyzed this momentous, yet gimmicky event in the eyes of the Sabermetrician.
- First Pitch 07/15/13: Lincecum's Fate by Bryan Grosnick - Beyond the Box Score
First Pitch delivers all the action in the Majors from the day before, and our fearless leader Bryan had dedicated himself to bringing you all the highlights. Don't miss it.
Around the Sabersphere
- Pebble Hunting: The Spectator Attention Span by Sam Miller - Baseball Prospectus
The analytics of baseball players grab our attention most of the time, but often it's interesting to try and quantify and analyze partially related baseball news. Sam Miller has been an expert in this field, and continues his research by looking at those who watch baseball for pleasure.
- The Season's Most Clutch Hit So Far by Jeff Sullivan - Fangraphs
One of my favorite topics on the SaberSphere right now concerns clutch hitting, hitting with runners in scoring position, and pitching with runners in scoring position. Jeff Sullivan usually tackles fun and tough questions, and this is one of them.
- The Most Valuable 0-2 Hitter by Bill Chuck - Baseball Analytics
Over at Baseball Analytics the writers use some of the most visibly appealing analytics, and in this sense, the site had decided to take a look at who performs best when down in the count.
Around SB Nation
- Biogenesis: What did A-Rod and the other cheatersaccomplish? By Steven Goldman - Baseball Nation
Let's delve into the notion of cheating and performance enhancing substances and what comes of the whole ordeal. It's in the news and worth the read.
- MLB All-Star Game 2013: The Home Field Advantage Debate by Cliff Corcoran - MLB Nation
Should home field advantage factor into the All-Star game? Does it make the game more exciting and relevant or should the league get rid of it?
Outside the Sabersphere
- Edward Snowden Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by Tal Kopan - Politico
He's in the news, making news, and giving us perspective, so does he deserve a peace prize?