We're pleased to have brought back the BtB interviews, which focus on a certain writer in particular for each segment. Having already completed a discussion with Justin Bopp Satchel Price, it's time for another cup of coffee with someone else from the fantastic 16-headed monster, Bill Petti. Enjoy!
1) Can you talk about what inspired you to become a sabermetrician and focus primarily on advanced statistics?
2) Talk about your love of the game. How did you get in to baseball?
3) Regarding the game, how have your viewpoints of the game changed overtime.
4) What are some of your goals going forward as a baseball writer?
5) Who are some of your favorite writers, sabermetricians and graphic designers out there?
6) In the same subject, what is your strongest suit? What makes you the great baseball guy that you are?
7) In your opinion, how have advanced statistics changed the game over the years?
Of course, the stats that people focus on today could be different 10 years from now. I think generally the importance on them is here to stay, but what stats and approaches become most prominent will change as people keep searching for that new inefficiency or niche to exploit. Adaptation and selection. One of the few constants in our world.