Take a ride on the SaberSphere, it's got a whole lot of great baseball information, so don't miss a link, they all shine.
Previously on Beyond the Box Score
- "Clutch Skill" of 2013's Relievers and Bullpens by Max Weinstein - Beyond the Box Score
A lot of noise has been made surrounding the Tigers' Jose Valverde and his struggles in the bullpen. Whether that or something else, led Max to take a look at one of the more important aspects of a bullpen, it's members' ability to come through in the clutch.
- MLB Record Watch and Some Fun With On Pace Numbers by Andrew Ball - Beyond the Box Score
Significance aside, we study baseball for fun among numerous other reasons, and attempting to play out the outcome of early season numbers falls in that category. You never know, some might pan out, and if your interested, Andrew's got it covered.
- Calendar Year Leaderboards by Ben Horrow - Beyond the Box Score
We analyze player production in a number of different fashions. We utilize splits of all kinds, but one manner that has recently gained some popularity is to look at the last 365 days of play. Here's some interesting notes on players performing well in the last calendar year.
Around the Sabersphere
- Hitter Volitility Through Mid-June by Bill Petti - Fangraphs
BTBS shares Bill Petti with other baseball publications, one of which is Fangraphs. Bill has skills and he puts them to use here, taking a self-made metric, VOL, applying it to the 2013 season.
- Inside the Matchup: Pujols vs. Rivera by Mark Simon - ESPN Stats & Info
This past Sunday, the Angels Yankees game ended with Mariano Rivera striking out Albert Pujols, but the at bat has a story to tell. Mark Simon takes a short break from his usual defensive minded focus, taking a stab at this star-studded matchup.
- The Padres, as No Team Has Been Before by Jeff Sullivan - Fangraphs
The San Diego Padres are making noise in the NL West, and doing so after no one expected very much from a team supposedly lacking in multiple facets of the game. One BTBS writer broke down the Padres a few weeks ago, but since then the team has morphed even more. Jeff Sullivan makes it his business to tell you why and how.
Around SB Nation
- Seattle Mariners vs. LAA Angels Series Preview by Scott Weber - Lookout Landing
The Mariners recently called up Mike Zunino an SOS from the front office, but Scott Weber discusses the Mariners pitching in his series preview of their upcoming bouts with division for LA. Why is he rooting for one player to fail, but not too much?
- Integrating Baseball Knowledge by John Sickles - Minor League Ball
Baseball folk enjoy discussions, and to some extent arguments. These sometimes heated debates lead to advancements in the thought surrounding the sport, but it also breads conflict. John discusses the most recent and significant point of conflict in the baseball world, attempting to find some resolution.
Outside the Sabersphere
- Firebrand for Science, and Big Man on Campus by John Schwartz - The New York Times
As a kid I loved the Bill Nye the Science Guy television show, no episode failed to interest me. Now, Bill's taken his talents in a different yet equally impressive direction. He's always been passionate, that's for sure.