Previously on Beyond the Box Score
- Lefty Hitters: The Next Frontier for Stephen Strasburg by Dan Rozenson │ Beyond the Box Score
Stephen Strasburg is arguably the best pitcher in baseball, but he does have a noticeable platoon split. Dan compares his platoon number with some of the other top pitchers in baseball.
- Testing and Visualizing Similarity Scores by Stephen Loftus │ Beyond the Box Score
The follow up to Stephen's awesome work on similarity scores for pitchers. This week he tests some pitcher's first halves against their second half results to test the effectiveness.
- Changing the Way We Look at Offense, Part Three: Pitching by Ken Woolums │ Beyond the Box Score
Continuing the trend of followups, Ken provides us with the third installment in his well hit ball series. Today he looks at the numbers as they relate to pitching and DIPs theory.
Around the Sabersphere
- What agents negotiate the best contracts for their clients? by Dan Lependorf │ The Hardball Times
A glance at which agencies get the most for their players. Not surprising, Mr. Boras rates rather well.
- The Coolest Baseball GIF of All Time by Dave Cameron │ Fangraphs
Thanks to Dave for pointing out the following GIF, originally brought to us from DShep over at Lone Star Ball.
- Q&A: Jason Hammel, Two-Seam Evolution by David Laurila │ Fangraphs
It seems that every week I am including another great interview from David. This week's edition is once again top-notch, featuring O's righty Jason Hammel talking about the development of his two-seam fastball and the differences between pitching in Denver and Baltimore.
- Pitcher BABIP and Age by Ben Lindbergh │ Baseball Prospectus
Twins' GM Terry Ryan offhandedly said that BABIP is unreliable for pitcher's with limited service time. Ben checks the facts on the claim.
Around SB Nation
- The Fascinating Experiment of the Atlantic League by Grant Brisbee │ Baseball Nation
With the ALPB season now under way, Grant highlights the leagues' efforts to shorten game times. If they prove successful they may very well be headed to other Minor and Major league parks in the near future.
- The Last Expos by Al Yellon │ Bleed Cubbies Blue
Nine years after the last Montreal game was played, how many former Expos are left in the Major Leagues?
- Ryan Howard's Contract... by The Good Phight Staff │ The Good Phight
SB Nation's Phillies' Blog provides us with a list of all the things that Ryan Howard's contract is.
Outside the Sabersphere
- Last evening was the first round of the NFL draft, so obviously we must link to some analysis on the selections.