Now, pretty much everyone in the baseball world has heard today's news out of Philadelphia. Ryan Howard signed a five-year, $125M extension with the Phillies that will keep him there through 2017, which will be his age 37 season.
Now, I was going to go through the many reasons why this was a silly move by Ruben Amaro and company, but I thought that it would just be easier to just let some other guys speak for me.
- Matthew Carruth over at FanGraphs
- Rob Neyer on his SweetSpot Blog
- BTF's Dan Szymborski on ESPN's TMI Blog
- Keith Law on ESPN's MLB Rumors Page
- Craig Calcaterra on HardballTalk
- Kevin Kaduk over at Yahoo! Sports
If you read all of those, you'll notice a pattern: some really smart guys have a lot of smart reasons for why the Phillies shouldn't have made this deal.
But you know who had a really damn good day today? Mr. Casey Close, Howard's agent.